Registration via https://event.ugent.be/registration/showdonttellcreatingvisualsaboutyourresearch from 08-12-2022 14:41 until 01-03-2023 12:00
The learning objectives for this course are as follows:
1. The ability to recognise and select appropriate images (icons, illustrations and photographs) for use in scientific communication.
2. Knowledge about the four main types of images (icons, illustrations, photos and graphics, and being able to decide which type to use in which situation.
3. Knowing the difference between vector and bitmap illustrations, and being able to decide which type and which file format to use in which situation.
4. Being able to take photographs to communicate about one's own research.
5. Basic knowledge of the most important types of graphs (bar chart, line chart, pie chart and scatter diagram), and when to use them.
6. Being able to use photo editing software to scale, crop and rotate images.
7. Using photo editing software to adjust the brightness, contrast and white balance of images, and to remove errors and backgrounds.
8. Ability to use graphics software to combine images and text.
9. The ability to formulate an appropriate title and caption which support the message of the image.
10. Knowledge of the legal and ethical aspects of photo use and editing, and be able to apply them correctly.
11. The ability to use images in the creation of graphic abstracts and scientific posters.