This course offers the opportunity to reserchers in life sciences and medicine to get familiar with R progressively with expert guidance. The sessions will be highly interactive and practical, making it possible for the participants to use R in their research studies in the most efficient way.
The course will be offered through six interactive sessions. Programming in R will be learned progressively through a combination of intense guidance by statistical experts and by self-study.
During the first sessions, we will learn to import and manipulate data and to perform some basic statistical analyses. Once we have mastered the basics, we will use the ggplot2 package to discover the excellent graphical capabilities of R. Moreover we will see some introductory applications of RMarkdown to set our first steps in automatic reporting, a key ingredient for reproducible research. Examples will be largely from health sciences.
A maximum number of 20 participants can subscribe to allow highly interactive sessions in a pc room.
- Exploring R and Rstudio, Constructing and working with vectors
- Importing SPSS, csv and Excel datasets
- Data manipulation: selecting data, creating new variables, merging datasets
- Data visualization using ggplot2
- Creating reproducible reports using RMarkdown
The course will take place on February: 20 and 27 ; March: 5, 12, 19 and 26 from 14:00 till 16:30. Deadline for doctoral school recognition: January 19, 2024.
UZ campus - K3 (entrance 42), first floor- PC room 1.1 - Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences of Ghent University, De Pintelaan 185, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
The course will be given in Dutch, but the slides are in English
No previous experience with R required. Participants should have access to R and RStudio (either installed on their computer or via Athena)
Roos Colman and Joris Meys
For UGENT or UZ Gent personnel (only through internal SAP UGent order): 300 euro
Others: 400 euro
- For questions regarding the content of the course, please contact Roos Colman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- For administrative questions, you can send an e-mail to email@example.com
From the moment of registration for a course and receipt of the automatic confirmation email, the cancellation conditions below apply.
Cancellation by the course participant
Cancellation is possible as long as the course has not yet started, by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If the cancellation occurs at least one month before the start of the course, there will be no additional costs.
- If the cancellation occurs within one month up to one week before the start of the course, an administrative fee of 25 euros will be charged.
- If the cancellation occurs less than one week before the start of the course, 25% of the registration fee will be charged in addition to an administrative fee of 25 euros.
As an alternative to cancellation, an enrollee can have himself replaced by a colleague for participation in the course. This must also be notified in advance via email@example.com.
Cancellation by the Biostatistics Unit
The Biostatistics Unit reserves the right to cancel a course or postpone it to a later date. In the event of cancellation, the amount already paid will be refunded. If a course is rescheduled, the enrollee may either participate in the course on the new date(s) or cancel participation at no charge with a refund of the amount already paid.
February 20, 2024
Exploring R and Rstudio
Constructing and working with vectors
Importing SPSS datasets
February 27, 2024
Reading Excel and csv datasets
Data manipulation: creating variables, creating subsets
Introduction to R Markdown
March 5, 2024
Modern data-handling using tidyverse
Basic statistical tests in R
March 12, 2024
March 19, 2024
High quality graphs using ggplot2
March 26, 2024
Automatic reporting: R Markdown
Illustration: Linear regression